Featured image

Start A Business With A Full-Time Job | How To Secure Both

It goes with the mindset and preparation if you can handle both; starting a business with a full-time job. If you choose to prioritise the 9 to 5 position, find the loopholes that can prevent you from realising your dream of having a business in the future and stuff them immediately. That’s the least you can do since you need a stable source of income to satisfy your basic needs. What are those loopholes, and how do you stuff them with a busy schedule from 9 to 5? You ask.

Think of;

Not starting a business on a budget…what are the consequences?

The worst situations in “once had a job.”

Whether the case of not having a job would be due to your decision to quit or not, anyone can find themselves in any of the scenarios listed below; if they become jobless with no clear plans and preparations for starting a business

Having a robust career portfolio that you can’t use to run a business

It happens all the time. Companies also have interests to protect. The trade secrets that can prevent you from engaging in similar activities or beginning the same line of business as your current employer. An entrepreneur who vigorously assessed all the threats relating to his company would find ways to protect his assets.

If you’re an employee, you could spend years building your career and acquiring the know-how to operating a business, yet find yourself in the above situation if you’re not aware of the terms of your employment contract. You wouldn’t want to be in a turmoil where you have to start a new career as an adult or delay starting the dream business with a heavy heart.

You Might Also Like:  Making Sense Of Affiliate Marketing

Having startup capital without the know-how to set up and operate a business

It’s possible to build large sums of reserves for a business startup as an employee. If you’re not reckless in spending, you could clear all your debts and have a good standing credit record. That can allow you to create working capital and stay prepared for emergencies. It’s a good start for a business-minded person. But guess what, a business idea and startup capital is insufficient reason to start a business. The know-how is critical too. It takes time and a lot of errors in the process to master the art of becoming a successful entrepreneur. You learn from yours or other’s mistakes. Some errors can be way too costly that they can ultimately erode your reservations as you try to master the skills without other sources of income. You could end up in worse off situations.

Having money without concrete plans for business

It’s common. And I have to put this in layman terms since the majority falls in this category. Here is how it usually goes. The desire to start a business is there, but the thought of doing it is only triggered by what you see or hear—no efforts on your side to attaining the goal. When the day comes to put the tools down, you think of getting started. Of course, you always had that idea in mind. But, as a casual thought.

Remember, you are not broke in this situation. So, you cash out your policies and compile your reserves, viola; you have enough money to set up a business. How much money? What kind of business? Maybe you do have enough funds let’s see how that works out.

You Might Also Like:  Business Ideas | A Guide To Choosing A Profitable Niche

As you compile the list of the things you need to set plans into motion, you realise there is a lot that is required to get your business off the ground. Maybe, even the money you have isn’t enough to cover half the things you need. Ring a bell? The panic mode, you need more money Asap! You go to the bank to acquire a loan. Unfortunately, a bank won’t fund a business that has not taken off. Produce the financials first. Plus you’re no longer employed so how will you pay the debt should something go wrong? Fast forward; you knew or didn’t, how that was going to end?. There goes your dream unless the universe somehow gives you a second chance in finances.

A solid business plan, no startup funds, neither the know-how

That was my idea s/he copied from me. I’ve heard that before; from those who had lost their brilliant business ideas in the above scenario. Without a job or other income streams that can enable you to counter your shortcomings, such things can happen to you if you try to negotiate business partnerships or try to enter into contracts under the above circumstances. You sell yourself short. What else will you contribute to the connection apart from the idea?

How to start a business with a full-time job

The following will ease the pressure and help with the preparation

Study your employment contract in detail

Do that to identify any clauses in it that indicate a restraint of trade. Engage a corporate lawyer or seek clarity from the company’s HR team if you have to. It doesn’t end here, any future contracts relating to a shift in your job description or position, business negotiations contracts with associates in the supply chain; can contain such clauses too. So keep that in check. That way, you’ll know where you stand and make appropriate plans for the future.

You Might Also Like:  How To Find Business Ideas

Detach personalised interests and passion from your employment.

That involves eliminating using your current job title and a position branded with the name of the company you work for in employment. Those things can give you an unfair advantage if you use them to your private dealings. The downside is that they can also challenge your ego or compromise your relationships once you isolate it all. Whatever you do unrelated to your job, separate the involvement to your current employer. Not only will that help you avoid future legal conflicts with your employer as you form your own company; it will also help you realise how the world operates once you’re a “fallen hero” or “a nobody”.

Acquire additional skills with your business in mind

Might sound like a ridiculous suggestion. With a busy schedule from 9 to 5, the last thing one needs is another hr or two of additional stress or anxiety. All you need is therapy. That comes in different forms. By the way, what is it that you want to achieve?

• Business; your long term goal,
  • Additional skills that will prepare you to start a business with fewer hurdles,
  • The hands-on element for practise
  • And a paycheque if you do that successfully. That sounds better. It will keep you motivated.
  • You add a fun item to it, and you’ll get a therapy session.

The solution

Side hustle by learning how to make money from a website. Do it right here.

So, go ahead and create that website in WordPress. Start with a free version to practise.

Wait, what website? you wonder

It’s necessary if you want to start avoiding any of the above circumstances. You don’t want to end up in a helpless situation, do you?. Follow me here; I’m showing you the steps.

Find purpose

Conclusion

Make time to prepare for rainy days. You can have fun while doing it.

Feel free to like & share:

30 thoughts on “Start A Business With A Full-Time Job | How To Secure Both”

1. I was too intimidated to start a website for a long time. I didn’t know the first thing about hosting, or coding, or even creating content. I was SO glad to find wealthy affiliate. The training was easy to follow, and clear – with just the right amount of detail. I am so happy I found this website and program!

• Creating a website can be very intimidating if you’re not tech savvy. But with a walk through training, anyone can enjoy doing it. I’m glad you had the courage to fight your way through out that intimidation.
      Best wishes to you!

2. Thank you for this very helpful post. I did not know much about full-time job and I appreciate these details. I think from your other post, Building website without product is a great way to get traffic and benefit from them and I like this will really help me to earn full time income.

• You’re welcome. Despite not knowing about the full-time job, once you’ve achieved your goal, it will all come together. Don’t lose courage.
      All the best!

3. Hello, Indeed, it helps to have part time work beside our full time job. No one knows the stability of their job. A few days, my friend lost his job because he is now not medically fit. I feel sad for him because he doesn’t have a part time business. Now he also doesn’t have a job. I am offering him Wealthy affiliate but his English is not good. I hope he will work on it and become successful via wealthy affiliate. . Thanks for giving time to writing such a useful post for everyone.

• I’m sorry to hear about your friend. There is a variety of apps that can help him practice if English language is the barrier. Again, with your suggestion to him and with a starter account, he can even use his native language to create content for his website. If he wants to reach to an English speaking audience, there are plugins that can help translate his original content on his website to other languages. I wish him well. Thank you for sharing. A problem shared is a problem solved.
      All the best

4. hello, it is a great and nice feeling to know that someone will create a great website like this and also create a write up on an article like this.i wish i had come across this article earlier. i quit my job some months back and i would have been able to keep it and work on the side too.

• Sure, you would have and you can still fix it if you believe you made an error. You know, one more thing I find fascinating is that even with a too tight schedule, one can make use of freelances too.

Thanks for the compliment

I wish you well

5. Starting a business while you’re still working full-time can also afford you many luxuries and securities. From the obvious advantage of having a steady income to fund your new venture to additional benefits, such as being forced to focus only on what delivers the highest impact and lessening the pressure on yourself, I’ve personally experienced positive benefits from launching while working and yes it’s possible to secure both.

• You’re going places with that mindset. Stick to it and you’ll be among the happiest.

I’m thankful to hear about your experiences

All the best

6. Hey. I know that problem. I have a full time job, 2 kids and I started a blog buisness. of course, lack of time was my biggest issue.  And what i did? After my kids went asleep – I didn’t move to TV but I went to sleep too, so I could walk up easily at 5 am and start to work for 2 hours before my kids were up.

• That was an innovative way of achieving your goal. It is brilliant and admires your courage. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
      All the best

7. Many thanks to you for sharing such an excellent article with us .I must thank you for such a helpful post. I used to work. At the moment, I quit my job. And I am currently starting a business. I studied my business well before starting it  and separated my personal interests and passions from my employment. I acquired additional skills in keeping with the business .Long before I started this business. I learned about it because I had seen many people failing to start a business due to lack of proper planning and knowledge. Currently, I’m making money by building websites and selling products to them, and that has really helped me earn full-time revenue.

Lastly, I hope that through your articles, everyone will gain a lot of knowledge and will certainly share their new experiences .

• You’re a good observer and I adore your point of view of the world. The mindset of not wanting to fall into the same rabbit hole as the tried and failed, will help you escape many failures in life. You keep at it! All the best

8. When you have a full-time job, it is hard to find the extra time and will power to spend all your off hours working on your part-time job. If you are earning enough income, it will be even harder as you won’t feel that you have to work part-time.

I think part-time work on the side suits people better who are either desperate to get out of their current employment or desperate to earn a better income and improve their lifestyle. This is what gets you motivated to get that side business off of the ground in the long run.

• Thank you for sharing your insights.  Having gone through some comments of people who have done it and succeeded, it appears the motivator factor is a subjective topic for discussion when it comes to what drives people to look for business opportunities, even with other sources of income. Things such as;

1. The desire to not be managed

2. The ability to innovate by identifying pitfalls from other people’s life challenges  and finding ways of avoiding such,

3. Including that you have mentioned, the desperation to escape unwanted lifestyles

It’s refreshing to hear from other’s experiences.

Thanks a lot,

And all the best!

9. You nailed the point on the head, having startup capital and business idea is not enough, you need to acquire the tech-know how. In fact the most important thing is the know how; I started a business after I left my paying job in 2016, before 2018 the business had folded up. In fact the business practically died in 2017, I manage to bury the carcass of my business in 2018. Two things were missing technical Know-how and interest.

• The process of acquiring the know-know to start and drive business can derail the interest to pursue if one has limited resources. Thank you for sharing your experiences. I picked a few golden nuggets from your story.

I wish you well in your ventures

10. Thank you so much for sharing such an excellent article with us. I’ve been working for a long time. Some time ago, I lost my job, and I am unemployed. I had no other online business. If I had any business in online marketing, I wouldn’t have to worry so much today. So after reading your articles, I have come to know about this, and I like it very much. I’m new to marketing online. I am glad to read your post and find valuable information. I will share your web site on my social media so that my social media friends can benefit from getting useful information from your article.

11. A couple of years before I had a full-time job and I started my online business part-time. It was very challenging since I used to work for 12+ hours a day and 6 days a week. However, I wanted to be my own boss and invested 3-4 hours a day and invest more time on Sundays.

My website started to gain traction and I started to earn money from my website. I made my first sales after 5 months and it motivated me and I invested more time. After a few months around the one year mark, I was able to generate 70% of my day job income via my online business by working part-time.

So I decided to quit my day job and started focusing on my online business full-time since December 2017. Being our own boss is a blessing.

Thanks for the Great inspiring post! This has to be motivating, not only for me but also for many others. How I wish I had found your post sooner when I first started! I had to go through the old way of trial & error as you indicated on your 3rd article.

• As challenging as it appears to had been, the desire to financial independence kept you self-driven no matter the circumstances. It melts my heart to learn about such stories, and I’m glad to hear you eventually achieved your goal. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences.

12. Hi there, thank you for providing some tips on how to start a business with a full-time job. This is really useful for people even those who just graduated from uni, or those that are currently unemployed. A full-time job secures the income which allows us to support our family and our beloved ones. You then find a job you are really interested in so that you can continue doing it for your entire life.

Thank you for the great post, I’ll share it with my friends.

• Yes, family and our loved ones bring joys to our lives. Without joy, life can be meaningless even with lots of money. And to keep them happy while enjoying life with them, one needs to find ways of earning which are less stressful as you indicate with the word “interested”. I adore the way you care for your loved ones.

All the best

13. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful article with us. Your post is very informative.

I gave up my job. I loved to be independent. Job rules, work pressure, were destroying my thinking. Now I’m making money through Wealthy Affiliate Article. I am successfully affiliating with my website at Wealthy Affiliate independently. I think that if a man does his job even when he does not want it, he dies of his entrepreneurial talent.

I will share this post on social media as I think others should know about this. They will benefit.

14. it’s True, it really helps a lot to have an Extra/part-time job besides our normal 9-5 job. It is uncertain if you’re staying for another year in your current job. Stability is not guaranteed!

Your article offers a good insight into what to think next while being in your current work. Building a website with strong content will eventually gain you traffic and hence you get an extra income that you have never even thought of. It’s enlightening, to say the least.

Really helpful, I enjoyed reading it.

• The unknown to living approach, if only stability was guaranteed. I adore your approach to life and thanks for dropping your insights and with appreciation.

I wish you well

15. Dear Aspiring Entrepreneur

This is a critical topic about how to start a business even when one already has a 9-5 job. I grappled with this idea for so long (7 years) and tried to start businesses out of my tight work schedule- but unfortunately, they all used to collapse. I was unable to detach my passion at work and use that spare time to cater to my businesses.

I finally had to quit my job so that I can dedicate all my time to grow at least one solid business. I’m only a few months out, and so the dream is yet to be realized. I do not have a business plan as yet, but through your article, I’ve known that it is a wrong footing. At least I have a website.

• The approach and the preparation steps one takes can make or mar their efforts when trying to handle both the job and the business  at the same time. If you go full swing on both, you are  bound to trip on one end without proper planning. Go easy on the business by building the foundation as you go full swing at your employment. I find it reasonable and easier to adapt  in that sense. Starting with a website, something one can easily manage and make use of freelance work if the day job  schedule is too tight.

To the bright side, You have a website; I’m rooting for you to  make the most of it. Starting by learning how to monetize it.

I wish you well!