Undesirable niche products

Business Startup | How To Avoid Creating Undesirable Niche Products

Whether your end-product is in digital form, service or physical; your solutions (products) need to be desirable to your targeted market. That way, you can improve your chances of succeeding in your startup business. An indecisive audience that shows mixed reactions of interest in products (likes vs buying intent) makes it challenging to spot a niche that promises to generate sustainable income. By following these five simple steps before creating niche solutions, not only will you minimize the risk of creating unwelcome products; you will also dodge many business startup pitfalls.

Presumably, you already have one or more niche/business ideas. Otherwise, you wouldn’t be reading this article. If not, care to visit this post or additional info here.
Back to the purpose of this article;

Step 1:  Refine your niche ideas according to relevance.

Without knowing the demands of your targeted audience, you could be forcing a product they don’t even need, which could be a complete waste of your resources. So,

Research your niche ideas with a “Who does that?” approach.

Niche market research

Woah, Wait! Who does that? You’ve probably asked this question numerous times before; when you hear a mention of something that evokes some form of interest in the subject. It ignites the speculative side of your intuition, and make you develop an interest in wanting to verify what your intuition is telling you. Yep, the curiosity that compels you to ask the right questions, not only focusing on knowing the statistics but also wanting to understand the current events, and the circumstances leading to the outcome. That’s what you intend to unveil when researching your niche ideas. The research approach will work if your niche ideas are on things you are passionate about; otherwise, you may not enjoy researching your niche. The following questions will help you understand your niche audience and the things that matter to them.

• What problem(s) will you solve with your business idea? Do they exist, or are they your imagination? Seek validation.
  • Is it only you who sees them as problems or do others also do? Think of the methods you will use to find out
  • If others see them as problems even, who is affected and how? Think of whom is likely to buy your solution and the places they would hang out
  • If the affected exist, how are they surviving with those problems? – Think alternative solutions to the issues you are trying to solve, and how you will find out if they are available.
  • Are the survival methods they use good enough to keep them silent? – Think of the sources or platforms your targeted audience will use to report their problems.

Alright, you’ve got the hang of how the traditional niche research approach works. But hang on, you know that two people can try to find answers to the same questions but end up with different search outcomes, right? You need to know the research techniques that work, something you can master through practise, observation or learning if you’re not a natural detective. Head over there for some brilliant practical online research techniques, you will find in this book.

Sometimes you do not need to rely on the answers you get when asking direct research questions. I have heard that one should believe people’s actions, not what they say. Therefore;

Refine your niche ideas to find relevant niche markets using keywords

Find niche markets using keywords

This approach will help you find the search queries your audience submit when using the search engines to find solutions to their problems. Even when they don’t answer truthfully to the direct market research questions; you asked above when conducting research. The search engines, Google, for example, record what they search for online behind your back. Therefore, giving you a leeway to finding niche markets using keywords.

Of course, not everyone uses the search engines so a quick reminder, we are dealing with a niche here, a smaller segment of a broader market, which represent the interests of an audience with unique characteristics. Want to know the traits of an ideal niche audience? Head over here.
To strip your niche ideas according to relevance using keywords, you need an advanced keyword research tool that can simplify the task for you. Look here; how to use this method in the form of a product review.

Step 2:  Find the best SEO keywords

The goal here is to find the most searched things online associated with your niche. You wouldn’t want to create a product that nobody is looking for, would you? So, your best bet will be to find ideal keywords (from step 1 above) that have the highest or favourable average monthly search volumes. Preferably with less competition in terms of those providing solutions (suppliers). Go with what floats your boat.

Try  it for free, enter a keyword of your choice below:

Analyse your search results using the details I provided here, in Jaaxy review, as a guide.

Based on your selected keywords, you can then determine the type of product to create for your niche ideas. You may be surprised how your initial business idea unfolds to something different but still, relating to your niche.

For example:
Your initial idea could be to sell stylish clothes for plus size women as a retailer. But through keyword research; discover that it is the unique, elegant designs, material patterns, or even designing Apps that people search for online which are in short supply. That takes you to the next point;

Step 3: Choose a business model

You have found the best keywords for your niche idea(s) in step 2 above. Bear in mind; your best SEO keywords represent the needs of your targeted audience. But how will you make money? With all that information you have gathered above, you need to adapt or design a suitable business model for your niche business requirements, of course, based on the type of solutions appropriate for your audience. It could be an information product, a physical product, or even a service. For online entrepreneurs, examples of business models to adopt may include affiliate marketing, eCommerce, Software as a service (SaaS) and more; you need to dig deeper into various models to know which model is suitable for the type of solution you intend to provide.
Gather information relating to how the model works, understand the industry standards you need to comply with, and prepare a list of all the resources you need.

Step 4:  Determine the feasibility of your business idea.

Actionable or not

Alright, you have gathered all the information you need relating to your startup, can you begin to move towards setting up your business? Not so fast, is your idea actionable? I mean that could be a game-changer. In most cases, this is the stage where most business ideas are parked; allowing the dreams of becoming an entrepreneur to remain unfulfilled.

With a little twist to the SWOT Analysis; an acronym for Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, and Threats, determine if your business idea is actionable or not by going through the following checklist:

Your Strengths

These are the positive attributes you possess as an individual, that have the potential to impact success in your business venture. You can identify them by answering the following questions:

• What advantages do you have against others in your niche
  • What are the things you do better than anyone in your selected niche or business venture
  • What do others in your niche see as your strengths

Your Weaknesses

• What should you improve to make your niche business idea executable
  • What should you avoid relating to your niche idea
  • What could lose you sales
  • What do others in your niche see as your weakness

Opportunities

• What exciting trends and developments are you aware of relating to your niche?
  • What are the advantages that might arise from changes in technology, government policies, social patterns and economic changes?
  • What options do your strengths open up for you to your niche?

Threats

• What obstacles do you face in your chosen niche?
  • What is your competition doing that you should be worried about?
  • What could erode your capital injection?
  • What risks do your weaknesses expose to your business idea?

Note: An in-depth analysis of SWOT will help you determine if your business idea is actionable or not with your chosen model. That will help you decide whether to implement or park your concept.
Where possible, you can;

• Utilize your strengths and outsource your weaknesses
  • Put strategies in place to counter your shortcomings and the risks associated with controllable threats before starting your business venture.

Refine niche ideas

Conclusion

Starting a business requires a lot more than having a business idea and enough startup funds. It’s essential to research your niche, understand the applicable business model, and match all against the requirements and what you have to avoid startup pitfalls.

Feel free to like & share:

32 thoughts on “Business Startup | How To Avoid Creating Undesirable Niche Products”

1. Thank you for such an informative post! Many people have told me that you should just pick your niche on what ever that you are passionate about. That is right but I think it js right half way. I want to add that you want to choose the niche that can sell as well. 🙂

Getting the training is also important. Learning all the basics of affiliate marketing tricks and technologies will get you ready so you can have your e-commerce and make money online.

Doing the research and try js without giving up is a road to a successful business.

Cheers!

• Absolutely, and thank you for adding these valid and valuable points 🙂
      Having the correct mindset helps too. It comes handy in not giving up without giving it your best shots.
      All the best

2. While it is true that you can make a niche out of anything I agree with you with your research point. Coming up with a niche to base around your business is crucial as you need to have a plan on of course how to make money and the audience you are targeting.

I think you have it spot on to be honest, I was once in a position where I didn’t understand the whole picking a niche idea, I did pick up eventually but I think if I had seen this back then when I was new to business it would of helped me pick it up faster.

Hopefully this guide helps other people out too,

Thanks,

Josh

• You’re welcome and thank you.
      I’m glad you find this guide useful as I intended to make it be.
      Good luck with developing your business
      To your success

3. Your post is laid very systematically and easy to understand. I will comeback to it when opening my second website to refresh my steps and do a thorough research in my new niche. Once you don’t do step 1 correctly and fully you are out, although all the steps are very important to do them effective. Thanks for the great post, it is very informative.

• You’re welcome and thank you. Yes, step one is crucial as it maps out the foundation of the entire plan.
      Good luck with your 1st and 2nd sites

4. Your page is nicely organized and your content is very informative. Thanks for creating this site.

I have just recently joined an affiliate marketing group and have been introduced to Jaxxy. This research tool is indispensable in finding keywords to improve search traffic to a site. This is a great tool if you build websites.

I believe that my niche can work. This is my first affiliate marketing website that I have created, so mistakes will happen. I am prepared for that. I will just create another site if my idea doesn’t work. I have created e-commerce sites before, but didn’t use the tools available, like Jaxxy.

Thanks for creating such an informative website,

Courtney-

• You’re welcome, Courtney. Through practice, you’ll get it right in the end. And yes, mistakes are bound to happen and that’s part of the process. As long as you correct and learn from them. I’m glad you find Jaaxy a useful tool as I do. Thank you for the compliment.
      All the best

5. Hey, I enjoy a lot while reading your article on How To Avoid Creating Undesirable Niche Products. While starting my journey in this online world. Every where I see choose your niche. Now my doubts are cleared after reading your awesome guide on choose the perfect niche. Hope soon I will get awesome results from my niche website. You are doing an awesome work for people like me to help them grow.

6. Hello, I really want to first appreciate your effort in putting this great website together and writing this article. creating a niche while starting affiliate marketing is one major key to successful business. i am glad i read your article. i now have more knowledge and idea about it. thank you

7. Hey, Your guide is very awesome for everyone like me. I agree with you with your research point. Coming up with a niche to base around your business is crucial as you need to have a plan on of course how to make money and the audience you are targeting.

8. Hello, I must say that this article is very helpful and informative. I plan to start a website but I really didn’t know what niche to choose, it is great I stumbled upon your article because you explained everything in detail. I must read it again to absorb all the information, thank you for sharing, I will come for more.

• Thank you Danijel. I’m glad you find this article useful.

Good luck in choosing your ideal niche and a suitable business model. Do come back for more.

9. Many thanks to you for sharing such an excellent article with us .Your article is really very informative .I should first choose a nice niche about the subject I want to start a business with .I enjoyed reading your article on how to avoid creating unwanted niche products, and I will definitely keep that in mind as I embark on my journey to the online world. Reading this article has eliminated all my doubts about choosing the perfect niche .With that, I hope I get great results from my niche website soon .And soon I will share with you my new experience as well as I hope others will find this article helpful in boosting your business and I would like to thank you for your great work.

• You’re welcome and thank you, Shanta

I look forward to hearing about your experiences and achievements.

To your success, all the best

10. You just solved a great puzzle – why businesses fail in their first three years. Especially online business, the niche idea is not refined; as such, there is no solid business model put on ground. I have seen so many people getting into affiliate marketing without understanding email marketing. They use social media for a short while before frustration sets in.

• Thank you. One thing I like about the affiliate marketing business model is that it has that flexibility of being the market research for a  passion project, while treated as a  business if one adopts the model with a focussed goal.

11. Thank you for such an informative article. I recently created an affiliate marketing website but really didn’t put that much thought into what niche I should be aiming for – I just thought about my own interests and picked one of those. I guess time will tell if I have made a good choice or not, but at least in the meantime I am enjoying working around that interest. But the way that you suggest researching a niche is a really sensible one, and I will definitely follow your advice next time.

• As you work on your passion project through affiliate marketing, you will uncover niche markets that require a different business model, so you’re on the right track.

All the best

12. Choosing a niche is one of the most important part of any business,but how you choose matters;that is how you choose your niche matters as the major or primary goal for setting up a business is to make money so marketing or doing what you love should be secondary if and only if it has the ability to fulfill your primary goal first thanks for sharing this article I really learnt a lot.

13. Thank you so much for sharing such an excellent article with us. Your article is interesting and informative. I have got a lot of information from it. I started affiliate marketing a few days ago so I chose eCommerce business as a niche. My favorite niche is the product sale. I understand my mistakes by reading your article and I can correct these mistakes later when I niche and I have learned a lot by reading your article. I will share it with my friends so that they can benefit from it too. I have bookmarked your website so that I can come back to it later. I wish you all the best.

• Thank you. If your business model is affiliate marketing, eCommerce and product sale goes hand in hand so you’re heading in the right direction.

All the best

14. This is an outstanding article, well written and easy to understand! I am new to SEO and the whole “turn your blog into a high traffic site” to be utilized for making money.

I shall go and put into practice what you have said. I didn’t think about making sure my audience is getting what it wants and not what I want, and I never thought of assessing my own weaknesses.

This is going to help me a lot. I have been having trouble understanding most articles while researching how to start this venture, and you made it so simple and easy to comprehend. I will bookmark this for future reference. Thank you so much. You are a real lifesaver!

• You’re welcome and thank you for sharing your online experiences and challenges. I’m glad this guide helped demystify some complexities.

15. Hello, I appreciate a great deal while perusing your article on How To Avoid Creating Undesirable Niche Products. I am beginning my excursion right now. Wherever I see; pick your speciality. Presently my questions are cleared after reading your great guide on choosing the ideal speciality. Expectation soon, I will get marvellous outcomes from my speciality site. You are doing fantastic work for individuals like me to enable them to develop. Thank You so much for sharing this article. I am going to bookmark it. If you don’t mind, I will share it on my social media account.

16. The ideal situation would actually to be part of the niche. That way, you’ll be part of the wave you’re trying to surf : ).

One of the most important things to do is getting the right keywords; from that moment on, you’ll be able to build a whole world. The business model will be the frame that will shape your future. It may change as your project evolves, but it’ll always be a source of headaches doing so. Let’s get the planning phase done to avoid re-working later on.

Lessons I have learned from this post, and there is more

Proposing a business (or a blog) is like making a question; you should always expect a response from the market, but don’t fool yourself believing it still will be the most favourable one for you. Get involved in the process, don’t surrender to the roadblocks, remember that, if you can’t break them, going around would probably be enough.

Great post!