If you hustle online, then you know first-hand the importance of choosing a profitable niche for affiliate marketing, blogging, or any online business, for that matter. The question is, how do you know which area in a segment is profitable. So, in this guide, let’s look into what it takes to choose a profitable niche for your online involvement.
How do you identify a profitable niche online?
No matter how many relevant niche ideas you got or loopholes you recognize, Identifying a profitable niche online is tricky. The proof is in the profits. And that’s because it’s what you do after choosing a good one that matter.
If you don’t want to take a plunge with a business idea, you might as well take time to consider if there are prospects that you will make money in any area of interest you choose. Then you can clamp down on your ambition and go for more realistic goals.
How you go about this
Selecting a promising niche requires taking into consideration a lot of things. For instance, you have to consider what attracts you to the subject matter, something you can do of the niche, and how it translates to other people’s demands and monetary goals. In short, you have to deal with many conflicting interests to spot the winning niche eventually.
Suppose you’ve already chosen one, whether your niche is highly competitive or not. In that case, you can turn your sweet spot in any segment into a money-making machine. How you do this is a matter of:
Do thorough research
You won’t be an expert before engaging. But you can go by with Some level of research, skill development and practise. But as you research, sometimes it’s the information you come across that make you realize how much you don’t know about doing business online. Before engaging, I found myself asking what SEO is, keyword research, PPC, Scaling ADS, link building, you know, all that technical jargon. Far from getting direct answers, as I dug into knowing what all that means, that’s when I realized I have to;
Invest in online marketing courses
Fortunately, you don’t have to be a tech geek or a finance wizard to run a business online. But to know if a niche is profitable or not before engaging, consider the following factors that help familiarise with promising slots for online involvement. That will come in handy in identifying a potentially profitable niche.
Things that matter,
Choose an ideal niche market
That helps in expanding your options for online business as you dig into sub-niches. And this gives you leeway for choosing your business’s direction whether you create a new product or promote the existing one.
It won’t be easy to select a profitable niche without considering other components of the entire niche market. Things like existing products, what sells online? Who you’re competing against, the intensity of the competition and changes you inject into the industry you want to serve. So, You can familiarize yourself with a total niche market to know where you fit into the puzzle.
Here is a quick break down of the main things you can zoom into to consider which direction to choose.
Understand the online marketplace
Online, if you’re not familiar with the environment, there’re many areas of interest. You find audiences on various platforms, sometimes in groups. Take, for instance, people who use Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. In a way, these other social platforms are areas you can find your targeted audiences. Often in groups, pages, or with particular types of account profiles. Some platforms are suitable for social networking, with fewer chances of finding willing or ready to buy. But such platforms are also perfect areas to spot market gaps, problems, solutions, and points of interests.
Where your money’s at,
Recognizing the buying niche audience, your goals, and what is relevant online
It’s not easy to spot the buying type online. But it helps if you’re able to match your interests to audiences, understand their thinking logic, and determine what the audience could want to buy online. If you can do that successfully, you can present the right offers to the right audience, helping to get conversions. To spot a profitable niche,
Consider the following:
- A niche audience – can you describe the buying tribe online?
- A perfect niche market product – what kind of product can sell well online?
- An Ideal niche market supplier – Do you have what it takes to provide proper solutions?
- Niche solutions – what does the audience want?
- Niche competition online – which authority websites are you competing against you?
Let’s drill deeper into these questions and describe your ideal niche market.
Your targeted niche audience online.
Who buy things online? You’re probably conscious about the things you wouldn’t hesitate to purchase online. Sometimes it’s not about what you can or can’t buy online. Instead, it’s why people buy things online if they can buy from a local shop.
Here is an example of a typical response from Reddit
So if you can recognize a tribe of individuals with matching interests to yours, people with similar buying patterns, then you have identified your buying tribe. It doesn’t take much time to recognize such people in groups on social platforms if you zoom into any area of interest. Take, for instance, pet lovers who follow dog pages on Facebook. Not all of them are willing buyers for dog items online. But as a dog lover yourself, you’re most likely going to familiarize yourself with those preferences through crowdsourcing. On the contrary, if you’re not a dog lover, if you sneak into their group discussions to spy on their conversations, then you can validate your research results.
The right audience would consist of firm believers in their habits and preferences. And Online, people won’t just buy any item they can easily find elsewhere unless there is some form of emotional connection. Think, for instance, in terms of a generic shirt you can find in your nearby grocery store. What drive you to buy a generic shirt from an eCommerce store and wait three days for the delivery? Your reasoning is something not to ignore.
That takes us to
Your ideal audience online
On social platforms, not all people who partake in group discussions will buy what you sell online. Although those groups reflect things they pride or enjoy, that doesn’t mean since they’re interested in the subject matter, they’ll be willing to buy anything relating to the topic. But you’re likely to get conversions from:
- People who pride convenience
- Those who value uniqueness or exclusivity
For the most part, scarcity and convenience play a significant role in getting a niche audience to purchase online. It’s easier and quicker to compare prices online.
Because of scarcity and inconveniences, people with unfamiliar needs and demands struggle to find perfect solutions. A person like that can be easily be misunderstood by those who don’t represent their tribe. For that reason, they then isolate themselves into smaller private groups on specific pages or designer platforms of like-minded people who engage in actual activities. For instance, someone who like dogs without one, and a dog lover with a dog buy different products for similar reasons.
The buying type is firm believers in their habits and spending preferences. You may not easily sway them into buying an alternative product that does not represent their satisfaction.
Why should you consider such an audience ideal for a niche market business?
- They love using search engines. This type of audience usually battles to find ideal products. And with a powerful keyword research tool, it’s easier to pick on what they want online.
- Due to its kind nature, if your solutions prove solid, they can soon become loyal customers to secure their needs and demands. That alone is a benefit to any business. But don’t take my word for it. Research your niche market, keep up with the trends and provide good quality products and services to keep them spending.
Niche market products online
How exactly do you find winning products in your niche? Choosing a profitable niche also requires taking into consideration What niche products to sell or promote online.
Not all niche products sell well online. Usually, your marketing strategy plays a significant role in getting click-throughs and conversions. And as you know, with zero modifications you won’t make profits.
What’s the best way to find niche products online
From my experience, there are two ways to this. You can find niche products by long-short or take a shortcut.
- Affiliate marketing
That is by long short, but affiliate marketing does help you discover products you thought didn’t exist and vice versa. Since affiliate marketing features niche marketing, As you search for affiliate programs trying to find brilliant products to promote, it becomes clearer which market gaps need the intervention of a new product. So It then becomes easier to decide if it’s best to continue promoting existing products or create your own.
- The shortest way to find winning niche products is by doing a quick research.
let’s look into the following that helps in identifying which niche product to sell online.
What niche product to sell online
Here’s what you can consider when deciding what niche product to sell online. Bear in mind Niche products has that X factor that speaks volumes to the targeted audience. And you won’t find that in generic products. Take, for instance, Golf-shirts for golf players. There are not generic golf shirts you can find in any store. Therefore they tend to have higher margins. That’s something you might want to consider in choosing profitable niche products to sell or promote online.
Excellent niche products are usually unique, specialized and highly customizable. Of course, to align with the targeted audience’s unfamiliar demands, which explains why most of them are scarce and often expensive.
Such products are not easily accessible offline.
So Lookout for
Products that are not easily accessible offline due to infrequent demands.
Exclusive Products with transactions that take places through referrals or recommendations, mainly because most people are not aware such products exists or where to find them.
Side note: If you have previously purchased anything online, then you could relate to this. If not, keep searching until you get to that point.
Why are such products ideal for a niche market business – in terms of profits?
- They tend to have higher profit margins. Most likely, due to scarcity. And providers favour adding higher mark-ups to compensate for all the efforts they put into customizing specialized processes.
- When last did you drive around looking for a particular spare part that you couldn’t find in any of your local stores and ended up placing an order online? If you find a product like that, then you’re most likely going to buy it wherever you find it, even at an additional cost.
- More importantly, it could signify that you may introduce a niche market business online to provide for the minority in various locations.
- That way, you may attract volumes of targeted audience in various locations. People like that can go to any lengths to find products they want anywhere, even if it means importing. That’s a big deal for someone who is getting by to operate on a global scale.
Niche market suppliers online.
Going by this guide, this is where you fit in as you look for profitable niches. And that’s because you want to make money online. But How you enter the market doesn’t have to be complicated.
Characteristics of an Ideal niche Supplier
- Do you ever notice that niche suppliers are people who usually start as custom designers of what they like but end up serving others too?
- Think of those handymen on call, DIY experts, all the way to well-known industry gurus who became leading providers in the industry.
- Although this does not exclude anyone with relevant skills, experience, or expertise, those who belong to the pride may stand a better chance (in my opinion).
That takes us to
Due to the targeted audience’s size and other factors, suppliers often locate themselves in secluded areas. You hardly find them easily offline.
How does this benefit you if you want to enter the online market as a supplier?
- Suppose you can leverage your unfamiliar needs and preferences to supply your pride. In that case, you don’t necessarily need to hire anyone to research a market that reflects your preferences because you have what it takes – it could be a cost-saving for you.
- Businesses that develop from interests or passion tend to flourish; operating that kind of business may not feel like hard work. Given that, you could minimize wastage in production as you’ll be more focused on doing what you dedicate to do.
- You can capitalize on your experience to beat your counterparts in the competition. That could mean higher turnover resulting from a larger market share if you excel in what you do.
- Suppose your products are unique and good enough. In that case, you could easily attract a larger audience from various parts of the world online. As a result, you can grow your network, become an international supplier, and increase sales volumes. – Enjoy the benefits of operating on a larger scale.
- Given various ways to reach your targeted audience, you can take advantage of content marketing to get free traffic.
- After all, the targeted audience tends to rely on search engines to find preferred solutions; it makes researching a niche online a lot easier with a keyword research tool.
Niche market Competition online
People are continually getting involved online to find new inspirational ideas and more exciting products. Sometimes they even try to find solutions for things they can’t confide in anyone. Either because they’ve no one to turn to, or they fear judgment. It is evident from the things people search for online that have resulted in niche markets. Below are a few examples of some things people search for, picked by google instant;
As a result, more niche markets, products, and suppliers enter the online industry daily.
For that reason, It may not be easy to measure the competition online without using advanced online research tools. So if you have a website, here’s how you can keep up with competition online:
Up your SEO game
If you’re starting, know that it won’t be easy to outrank authority websites. But you can invest in online marketing courses to learn the ins and outs of operating a business online.
Determining niche market competition online;
Make use of keywords and key phrases to size the competition.
1) The manual approach
When you enter a search phrase on search engines, Google, for example, generated search results retains few browse through pages, sometimes nothing comes up. That is one way to size a competition; by noting the number of pages on your search results and perhaps counting the websites competing for that search term.
The downside of using this manual technique
Your manual technique could produce inaccurate results in many ways. But most importantly, you may not know the number of people who use the exact search term or search phrase to find the product. For that reason, you may not be able to accurately measure the competition, let alone determine your idea’s feasibility.
2) Using a keyword research tool, you can spot a promising niche
Let’s use an advanced keyword research tool (excellent tool for beginners) Jaaxy, for example, you can spot a good niche.
See Example below
Going by the search term “stylish”, you stand a better chance of choosing stylish plus size clothing as your niche.
A beginner-friendly tool like Jaaxy also help you find out:
- How many websites are competing for a particular search phrase
- The monthly search volume for a particular search term.
- And the SEO power of that keyword.
How to determine if a niche is profitable online
Like any business idea, which means no income and expenditure figures, to determine if a niche is worthwhile so you can eventually choose the promising one involves the following:
- Do thorough research
- Invest in a good keyword research tool
- Test your niche ideas
Drop a comment below: