What is the cost to build a website? You ask. If you intend to create a website faster and efficiently, drawing up a budget helps you estimate the cost of having a proper website. The question is, what goes in a budget for a website? Fortunately, with the help of this article, you can draft your budget checklist to make it easier to produce a comparable figure, knowing what makes up a reliable or proper site.
So, let’s put together your checklist.
How much do domain names cost?
You can build a website with a free domain name. However, eventually, you’ll have to part ways with your pennies to get serious about making your dream website with a domain name you own. Besides, a website with contact details that show a domain name specific email address looks trustworthy.
Budget checklist for your domain name
- The search for domain name cost (optional)
- Domain name registration and protection fees
- Domain name renewal fees (recurring)
- Cost of other related services for the domain name
How much do web hosting services cost?
The cost of web hosting services will be determined by your future plans for the website. However, if you decide to grab a free offer, at least keep in mind the subsequent subscriptions that match your budget.
Which takes us to,
Website builders often come with web hosting services in packages. How often do you see ads for free websites and ask yourself, where’s the catch? Free web hosting services are inadequate. Even when bundled up with website builders, they come with restrictions.
A lot of coding and programming goes into website creation. And if you’re not a tech wizard, the cost of figuring out how to build a website from scratch can be much more expensive than letting the experts deal with the technical aspects. But in this case, you don’t have to fight tooth and nail fixing messy codes if you could choose to use a website builder in the first place. In addition, it simplifies the process of creating a website and takes seconds to have it ready for setup.
Budget checklist for web hosting services
- Premium web hosting costs – this is for website installation to your own domain name, site security, files backups, maintenance services, etc. (these typically comes in packages – you can even bargain from here)
- Upsells/upgrades costs for web hosting services
- Other fees for website hosting and related maintenance services
How much does it cost to setup and design a website?
The cost of designing your website depends on your design goals. You can outsource the services for website setup and designing if you’re not skilled in this area, or learn to DIY this for your budget. However, suppose you’re new to building websites and still figuring out things. In that case, it’s best to avoid overlooking the importance of your website’s content, and how it affects the design and displays across different devices. In other words, look for a theme or design templates that optimize content production with future updates or additions.
That takes us to,
Have you ever thought about the many different types of sites that you can build with WordPress? – A regular blog, an eCommerce store, an affiliate marketing website, and even a portfolio website, among many others! WordPress offers an excellent range of websites that you can build with it.
The content management system you decide to use will play a significant role in website setup and designing costs when creating a website. As a result, what will work best for your business or project is something only time may tell!
A great way to begin building your website project is by choosing which type you’re interested in building from scratch. Even without web designing skills, you can still DIY this. For example, suppose you want more than just a portfolio website. In that case, you can consider a content management system with blogging features or at least one that has seamless integrations with other apps or plugins for future expansion. Here you can think of various platforms like Wix, Weebly, Squarespace, et cetera that comes with the pre-made theme templates.
WordPress offers a broader range of sites you can build – with tons of pre-made themes to simplify web designing. As for setting up, you can use a training platform to learn how to set up a website in WordPress should you decide to DIY this process.
In a nutshell,
Choosing a platform with the relevant training course and a flexible CMS for your website is crucial if you take the learning route to build your website. Then you can follow through with the lessons to set up a website, edit, enhance or develop it. As a result, you upskill yourself in the process, and this is often cost effective in the long term.
Budget checklist for website set up & designing cost
- Website set up – training costs and associated fees to premium Themes Vs the cost of hiring a web designer and developer for initial setup to change/amend out of the box solutions.
- Course upsells/advances – lessons fees Vs expert callout fees and related charges for changes and improvements.
- Cost of upgrading free plugins/apps to paid versions Vs expert callout fees for web development
How much does web content cost?
First, what type of content will you display on your website? Next, consider the kind of website you want to build. Finally, decide what type of website you want to have and what kind of content you will use – this influences the short-term and long-term benefits and value of the website.
You may find it challenging to create a budget for web content. So for budgeting purposes, you could outsource the services for web content creation, or upskill yourself and buy a content creation kit.
What to add to your budget checklist for web content
Decide after careful consideration of the following questions that make your budget checklist;
1. What is the purpose of the content, and how will it be used in your marketing plan
2. How long it usually takes to produce this type of content
3. Who can create this content for you – DIY, freelancer, or agency?
4. Do you need a contract with the person producing your content?
5. Is there an additional cost for editing and design work on top of what is paid upfront?
6. Will someone else approve all final drafts before publishing them to avoid mistakes that could damage your brand’s reputation?
7. Determine if you need help with social media or other marketing tasks, which will affect your overall costs
8. Estimate the cost of outsourcing Vs DIY – enrolling for training and having your content creation kit
Why should I add website maintenance services cost?
It’s vital to perform regular maintenance on a website, just as a house needs repair to remain in good condition. So when setting a budget for website maintenance services, consider what gets affected by evolving search engine algorithms and the changing behaviour patterns of web visitors.
Which takes us to,
What to add to your budget checklist for website maintenance services
With the right tools and skills to perform website maintenance services, you can DIY this if you wish to do so. Alternatively, pay fees to relevant agencies to do the following:
- Clean your website – keep your content up to date and the website secure
- Optimize your site to be search friendly
- Change design for your website, or redesign the old look
- Keep up with or pay agency fees for online marketing services, including SEO and social media management
- Other related services
How to create a website the easy and efficient way (steps to follow)
- Use the budget checklist to get a rough idea of what it takes to have a website.
- Decide what type of website you want – do you want to create an online store, informational site, blog, online portfolio etc.
- Draw up a budget for your website
- Decide on the content management system (CMS) that allows for expansion, in line with your long term goals.
- Get a domain name
- Sign up for a website builder – a platform, preferably with the relevant training for your website (optional)
- Build your website following training tutorials or outsource this as a service
- Add content to your website
- Market your web content – products/services
- Maintain your website – keep up with online trends
Creating a website is an investment that requires you to be financially prepared. You got to know what your budget looks like before building the type of site you want, and then make sure it’s in line with all the features and design elements you require for success. Making a plan now means there won’t be any unwelcome surprises down the road when it’s time to upgrade, update or maintain your website.
So, what kind of website do you find easy to make Vs paying someone/an Agency for website building service? Feel free to drop a comment below.